I’m managing a 12-site small cell upgrade with a 90-day window, and our trenching permit is now two weeks late. What’s worked for you to keep stakeholders aligned — exec updates and daily vendor standups — while holding contractors to dates without blowing the critical path? If the city doesn’t clear by Friday, I’m re-baselining milestones E and F and shifting the splicer to nights; anyone see a better move to protect the go-live?
Treat the permit like a 72‑hour shot clock with a pre-approved backfill: if Friday’s still red, auto-shift ‘E/F’, redeploy to make-ready/power tests, and push a one-page RAG so execs and vendors see the same timer. One tweak to your cadence: swap daily vendor standups for a 15‑min constraints board with owner/ETA per blocker — want a template?
Quick example: I’ve kept a 90‑day, multi‑site on track by booking a 20‑minute pre‑walk with the city inspector while the trench permit’s pending; bring a one‑pager (traffic control + restoration) and ask for a “green‑tag on conditions” so you can mobilize Monday if Friday’s still red. It gives you a concrete line in the exec update and keeps the GC honest since the gate is binary. If they won’t do conditional starts, I’d re‑baseline E/F and flip the splicer to OTDR/rack cleanup on the other 11 — does your city allow that pre‑walk?